BCSO used pepper balls and K-9 on 88-year-old
BCSO used pepper balls and K-9 on 88-year-old...
By Ryan Boetel / Journal Staff Writer
Thursday, February 4th, 2016 at 11:44pm
Please NOTE: The following information has been learned by NAPWDA after the below article appeared and is posted here by the NAPWDA Secretary so that the reader has this information when beginning to read the article.
- The subject was distraught over the death of his wife and went to a bunch of unknown neighbors houses and chased them around with a knife.
- Sherriff’s Deputies were dispatched and tried to talk him down. Crisis Intervention Team members were also dispatched and tried to negotiate with him.
- Subject kept threatening officers and others with the knife.
- No one wanted to hurt the old guy so they kept their distance and refrained from shooting him. They also didn't want to bean bag him either considering his age.
- They decided to distract him with pepperball and subdue him with a muzzled patrol canine.
- The pepperball had limited success but the canine effectively knocked him down. The handler was able to stand on the hand with the knife until the subject could be secured.
- Subject sustained a broken hip as result of the canine knocking him down. Subject was taken to the hospital where he contracted pneumonia and died a month later.
You can open the original News Document at the top right area of this page to read it more clearly. Converting it to this page has distorted the font a bit.